Suzuki Central Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to get my daughters their first fuel powered quad. I came across a decent deal on a LT80 but I'm not sure if that would be too big. I have never seen one in action so I don't know what it's capable of. They are age 5 & 3 (soon to be 6&4 in a couple months). Anyone have any input on if this would make for a good starter quad with room to grow, or should I be looking for a 50cc?

·
Registered
1,772 Posts

not sure if that link worked.
My son is 5 almost 6 and he has one speed which is fearless. It's good for some things but not others. I got him a 02 lt50. He pushes it to its limits so I didn't want to go any bigger yet. It has throttle control screw and tether which I never used but good to have. I think it depends on your kids, if I got my son something bigger he would push that as far as he could and I don't think he's ready yet. The 50 is not that fast but it's teaching him riding style and how to control it.

http://i1252.photobucket.com/albums...731F6D8-1519-000001625DC0771A_zps2014ee5a.mp4

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
I personally dont have children, but i have friends and relatives with little ones.....if the kid understands what the throttle is and knows how to use it the 8080 will be fine for the 6 year old, they do have the throttle limiter......i have a cousin that started on a pw50 at 2 and a half, and by 6 he was busting out 40-50 foot table tops and 30 foot doubles, while doing a little scrubin on a cobra 50 SR. Dirtbike....personally i would start my kids on a dirtbike, mostly for safety reasons, id hate to see a child flip a quad

·
Registered
405 Posts
I have an LT80, and it's a good solid reliable ATV. However, the suspension sucks. Your children are likely too small to have the suspension move over jumps and rough terrain. My son has already been thrown off twice because he didn't know how to deal with the back end bouncing around so much. He's learning, but it's something that he wouldn't have to learn if the suspension worked as it should. At 60lbs, the suspension just doesn't move with him on it.

The LT80 will also scoot along nicely. You can limit the speed with a throttle screw, but without that screw, the thing will go fast enough to get an adult in trouble.

Personally, I'd find a used DRR and get it instead. I'm looking one now if you know anyone that has one forsale. The newer ones have a true double a-arm suspension in the front and a real swingarm in the rear. Unlike the LT80, and most of the big-name offerings.

·
Premium Member
7,168 Posts
I'll be putting my youngest on a Chinese 110 in a few more months. It's not much bigger than the raptor 50 we have, in fact I think it weighs less. It has the throttle screw and a engine kill tether with a leash on the back. My other son, now turning 12, rode it and it performed way better than the raptor which he grew out of shortly after we bought it. That is why I'm skipping it with my youngest. The 110 has real dual a-arm front suspension and a swinger, it's chain driven and larger tires/ground clearance. It also can actually move in sand, which the raptor failed miserably in. I bought it for $400, I don't even want to think about what I paid for the raptor when I bought it from the dealer brand new in 07. Needless to say, I like the clone way more than the raptor.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yogi, where can I find these Chinese 110's?

·
Registered
405 Posts
They are posted all over the local Craigslist.

·
Premium Member
7,168 Posts
Bought ours off craigslist.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have an LT80, and it's a good solid reliable ATV. However, the suspension sucks. Your children are likely too small to have the suspension move over jumps and rough terrain. My son has already been thrown off twice because he didn't know how to deal with the back end bouncing around so much. He's learning, but it's something that he wouldn't have to learn if the suspension worked as it should. At 60lbs, the suspension just doesn't move with him on it.

The LT80 will also scoot along nicely. You can limit the speed with a throttle screw, but without that screw, the thing will go fast enough to get an adult in trouble.

Personally, I'd find a used DRR and get it instead. I'm looking one now if you know anyone that has one forsale. The newer ones have a true double a-arm suspension in the front and a real swingarm in the rear. Unlike the LT80, and most of the big-name offerings.
60 POUNDS??? How old is he??? im 120 pounds and im barely allowed to ride an lt80 with adult supervision (currently 15, started at 14 or 13 im not sure)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts