Suzuki Central Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
620 Posts
i wish it was lighter, unless the weight is evenly balanced it could get awkward.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
I dont like it it is a canondale body with a acident prone engine, polaris does not have good luck with the engines

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
It's nasty as hell for one thing and its most likely going to have problems cause its a first year quad and its the first polaris that is a manual.One other thing is it looks like its a rotax engine from bombardier cause polaris probably had bombardier make the engines since polaris engines aren't to good except for there snowmobiles engines which are so sweet.

·
Registered
837 Posts
I like it, just hope it preforms to a point that it makes the other manufacturers put forth more of an effort on theirs. As they say competition is good.

DadsZ400

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Heck, I would have one in a second if it meant I could get rid of my 250.
On the other hand....it looks ok and I wouldnt mind owning a 2nd year model. Im sure there will be problems considering its a first for Polarass....I mean Polaris. I think its gonna be a bit smaller version of a DS...a little better for trail ridin but still a little to wide for some people. Still rather have a 400ex though with a 440 kit. :D

·
Registered
76 Posts
I think it looks sweet...I too would not get the first year coming from Polaris...the Z400 engine is actually nowhere's near a 1st year engine.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I don't know if you guys realize this the only thing new is the tranny. the motor is the 500 HO that they have been using for years. I am not saying I would buy a first year quad from a company that has no manual trannys, but the motor shouldn't be the problem.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I don't know if you guys realize this the only thing new is the tranny.  the motor is the 500 HO that they have been using for years.  I am not saying I would buy a first year quad from a company that has no manual trannys, but the motor shouldn't be the problem.[/b]
sorry but your wrong the HO engine has a 499cc 4-stroke sohc while the predator has 499cc 4-stroke dohc fuji designed and is making it but polaris did help them build it
Polaris tryied 3 different motors within the last three years and this was the best in torque and power

·
Registered
2 Posts
I think it will be a cool quad. Its one more high performance quad that will just bring the competition up a notch.

·
Registered
49,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The Predator engine is NOT a Rotax. It is a Fugi, designed by Polaris, built in Japan, the Predator is assembled and the rest of it built in the U.S. It revs freely up to 9,000 rpm, feels like a DS but with a smoother powerband and much higher rpms. A Raptor feels like a thumper, this does not. IT is lower and wider than a Raptor, but not as big as a DS. IT corners better than anything. The steering geometry/linkage is brilliant, with a little linkage that makes the tie rods the same length as the a-arms, so no change in toe as the wheels go up and down. Zero Bump steer. It has a chrome moly axle and is plenty wide, even for me.  
...I just got back from the dealer show, I talked at length with the engine guys as well as the riders and development guys. The motor cost 6 million in R&D. They have been fine tuning it for a year. IT comes good to go. No need for aftermarket a-arms, tires, axles, shocks. It comes with Douglas wheels, Maxi Razrs, Chrome Moly axle, and Fox Racing shocks, for which rezzies are an option. Nerfs, and a bunch of cool accessories are going to be available as well as the dune and XC accessory packages.  
....The demo track had one huge jump and a set of 6 small jumps which could be doubled or tripled. We got to ride the Predator on a less dramatic track with no jumps, just lots of tight turns. Not a great track, I really wanted to try jumping it, but I can understand why they didn't let us. IT handles better than anything I have ever ridden, including 400 EX, the width, lower center of gravity, great suspension and the trick steering are a head above anything else out there.  
.....Polaris has raised the standard. NO stock sport ever made can compare.  [/b]
Taken from atvconnection, thats pretty serious talk, and he owns a DS...

·
Registered
44 Posts
It should be interesting to see how this comes out. I have heard it won't even hit the showroom floors till November now.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
I am sick of this 1st year quad BS. No one ever said anything until Yamaha didn't do their homework on the Raptor.

I do not like Polaris never have, never will. But the Predator looks to be a winner, I like the Predator 90 as well.

I don't know why they didn't put reverse on it. It can't weigh more than 5 pounds and they are already pretty heavy to begin with.

My next quad will be my Dads LT500 unless something better comes out.
(not selling the Z either, nothing wrong with having two quads!!)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Thought I had to add some to this. Just went to my locasl dealer where I bought my Z. They also sell Polaris. The Sales Manager rode the Predator and has driven the Z and said there is differences between the two, but the polaris has alot of power right out of the box compared to the Z is the one thing that stood out to him.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts