Suzuki Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to paint the frame on my ltz 400, since the motor is already
out (being rebuilt). I am thinking of doing it like a shiny red or something. I am also going to get yellow plastic. What suggestions do you have for colors ? Or what do you think about red ?

·
Registered
242 Posts
I am in the same boat, I just picked up a frame since mine was bent. I think I am going to go with some kinda red color - i have Black plastics.

Was thinking Yellow, Black, Gun Metal.

then Black and gun Metal are out -I want the frame to stand out a little.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Black or candy blue if it's with yellow plastics. But that's just my opinion.

·
Premium Member
4,285 Posts
white would be interesting i think. i cannot find my pictures but i powdercoated a Z frame candy purple with yellow plastics and it looked awesome.
something like this:

i think bright orange would really pop with yellow plastics too.

·
Premium Member
7,168 Posts
I'd go with a candy Royal Blue powder coat.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Jaguarr619 what color red is that ???!!!! Im am drooling ! That paint job looks sweet ! How much would it cost to get it powdercoated ? I dont really have any money cause im putting $450 into the motor.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Jaguarr619 what color red is that ???!!!! Im am drooling ! That paint job looks sweet ! How much would it cost to get it powdercoated ? I dont really have any money cause im putting $450 into the motor.
Dont know what color it is I'm guessing a candy red or around here coating the frame between $200 $250 to do it your self you need more $ than 250 sand blaster, powdercoating kit + XL oven

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
YA I dont have the money to do get it power coated. :( :( Should I use primer, if so how many coats ? And how many coats of the color ? Also should I do clear coat ?

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Im gonna try really hard to get yellow plastics. Im almost positive that I'm painting the frame candy blue. If I cant get yellow plastics I think the blue will look good with white plastics also.

·
Premium Member
7,168 Posts
I would look with any of the OEM z plastics I think. I've been wanting to get my hands on the LE Black plastics to put on my blue frame.

·
Premium Member
4,285 Posts
paint is ok, certainly much cheaper.

i would use 220 grit sand paper and scuff up 100% of the frame.
wipe it down with denatured alcohol to remove any oil deposits and fingerprints.
spray self etching primer
spray color
spray clear. 2 or 3 coats of it. the clear is your "invisible barrier" between roost and the color.
let it bake in the sun for a couple days before bolting anything up.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I am going to use 220 sand paper if thats what you recomend. Then Im going to wipe it down with paint thinner. Then start the painting process. If the frame is completley ready to paint for tomorow, could I have this quad done and back together for the weekend ?

·
Registered
954 Posts
I've been wanting to do either my frame or my a arms and swing arm in that neon green like they did on the yfz of blingstars. And do the whatever i don't do in a candy blue on my ltr.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
That would look cool betterton 49
I prepped the entire frame, and wiped it down with paint thinner.
I also put the coat of primer on today.
I dont think im going to have to put another coat of primer on. I hope not I wanna ride this weekend.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts