Suzuki Central Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys! Well this month is gona be big for me getting new kibble valves and complete spring kit(affordable for me)and wanted to ask what port & polish is out there, since I'm going to gut out the head I think I'd be dumb not to port it. I've heard of a drag port, mx port, and mild port, but don't know the difference and gains they have. I have a 453 je 13.1 bbk like chinoduca has, old style hotcams, fcr 39, DID cam chain, stock stroke hotrods, full sparks, and velocity intake. My riding is weekend warrior, like to hit the track, do some trails, and want to hold my own on dune drags. I would apreciate your guys info on this or any other suggestions about other ports that I didn't mention. I don't want to go stroker though, thanks in advance!

·
Registered
10,239 Posts
Who is gonna port it?

·
Registered
4,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well that's another question I had:confused:
there is a guy where I live at but he's never done a z400 head before he's only done yfz and trx 450's. But I'm open to suggestions and maybe wat kinda cash I'm looking at?

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
You definitely want to send it to someone who knows what their doing with the Z head. A good port/polish job usually runs about $200-400 or so. I think Paul @ Advantage Cycle does porting, you should give him a call.

·
Registered
10,239 Posts
I have done a few z400 heads, an ltr head and a few misc others. I guarantee for what I'll charge you, my port job cant be beat. Pm me if your interested.
This is a rundown of what I'll do for you.
-unshroud valves
-smooth and polish the combustion chamber
-of course open the intake and exhaust up
-polish the exhaust port
-streamline the guides that protrude into the ports
-cut a 45 degree chamfer on the exhaust valves (if you want to know why, pm me)
-round the edge of the intake valve
-chamfer or round the beginning of the intake port going into the head.
You would need to send the head gasket that you will use with it. I think I have some pics of the ltr head and maybe a z head. If you are putting in cams I can shim it for you and I can install your springs and valves.

·
Registered
4,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow dude! Thank you so much kfxguy for your help! I will definately send it to you. I won't be able to send it to you till the 23of this month and can pay you for it the 30th. I can shim them myself I have shim kit and feeler gauges and chart for it, but I will send you the valves and spring kit for it so you can install them for me. Maybe if I can play Scrooge this year and I can send it to you sooner and pay you sooner than that but it's hard to tell right now. Can you PM me an estimate of how much I'm looking at so I can see if I have that kinda dough? Thanks again dude!

·
Premium Member
7,168 Posts
I'd be interested in this too in the future maybe early next year after I get tax tax dough back. I'll definitely hit you up though kfxguy.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Anyone done a "Motoman" on a Z head? what's the choke point look like in the head?

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
I pm'ed kfxguy about his porting before and he sent me the pics of one or two ported heads and they look great. For the price he quoted me I don't think you can beat that price. And we all know that his engine kicks @ss!

·
Registered
10,239 Posts
I'm willing to help any of you guys out and save you plenty if dough in the process. I have no doubt you will plenty satisfied with my work.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
I really want to send it to kfxguy once I go to the U.S.
I can post the pics up of the head if you want to kfxguy.

·
Registered
954 Posts
pm sent kfxguy

·
Administrator
7,896 Posts
Anyone done a "Motoman" on a Z head? what's the choke point look like in the head?

I have wondered this myself... I have been told that the Z head is already pretty close to motoman's 60% but I have not checked it myself, and my head is already ported. Honestly the Z head flows very well in near stock condition.

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
True ^^^
At stock they flow pretty decent. The main increases we see on the Z head is more port velocity. Which in turn means they flow more volume after being ported correctly.

We returned one guys head that he had already attempted to port and seriously got it all out of proportion. One port floor was literally 1/8" higher than the other.

Not to step on a toe here, but I distinctly remember a year or so ago my post about starting up my business with porting, shocks, etc. was deleted due to forum rules and me not being a site sponsor. Are we now allowed to gather business off the forum?

·
Registered
4,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm not sure of rules on here but for fwiw, I know I'm not dealing with a liscensed professional here or a legit race performance company starting out a business.In this thread I started I'm asking for info and for help with my build which kfxguy is gladly helping me out with. I'm sure kfxguy is not trying to start his own company on this site or purposely posting an ad to take out and drive out exhisting site sponsors in this manner, Nor am I speaking on his behalf or for him. Just saying he is helping me at my request on my thread I started and others jumped in and posted for his help and knowledge on this thread. In my post I thanked him for his help not for his sevices. I know how to call a company for their service and quotes, I was asking for help for my build. He didn't price quote on here competitively either. I will PM him as should everyone else here requesting help from him only as I have done in the past sending PM's to certain members that I specificly want help or info from. Isn't that wat PM's and friend requests, or buddy lists for?
And I'm not taking any direct shots at you either zophar but I apologize in advance if you took it in that sence or if I came off in that way bro:)

·
Registered
10,239 Posts
I'm not sure of rules on here but for fwiw, I know I'm not dealing with a liscensed professional here or a legit race performance company starting out a business.In this thread I started I'm asking for info and for help with my build which kfxguy is gladly helping me out with. I'm sure kfxguy is not trying to start his own company on this site or purposely posting an ad to take out and drive out exhisting site sponsors in this manner, Nor am I speaking on his behalf or for him. Just saying he is helping me at my request on my thread I started and others jumped in and posted for his help and knowledge on this thread. In my post I thanked him for his help not for his sevices. I know how to call a company for their service and quotes, I was asking for help for my build. He didn't price quote on here competitively either. I will PM him as should everyone else here requesting help from him only as I have done in the past sending PM's to certain members that I specificly want help or info from. Isn't that wat PM's and friend requests, or buddy lists for?
And I'm not taking any direct shots at you either zophar but I apologize in advance if you took it in that sence or if I came off in that way bro:)
Well said! And thx :) anyway, I'm not running a business nor am I trying to. And like said I'm not trying to out any sponsors by any means. I gave the op an option. He may not want nor can afford $600 for a professional port job. I know I can't! So that's why I port my own heads and I do it for others locally by word of mouth. I don't have much time on my hands so Im not looking to get in over my head on doing them. I have just been around for a while and have become acquainted with a few of you guys and don't mind helping you fellas out.

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
No worries guys, I wasn't meaning to offend either.
I was just asking because I made the same offer to a guy last year and my post was deleted. Then after some digging I found out they thought I was trying to step on the sponsors toes.

I did make the mistake of pricing the job in the open also, because I wanted people to see they don't have to pay 600 bucks for a port job. My price wasn't anywhere near that and included the flow bench results.
But all is cool.

I respect anybody willing to help out another person like that and commend you kfxguy. There are a few members that should take what you did as an example instead of replying harshly like they do.

·
Registered
10,239 Posts
Ehh, no worries...I don't have any enemies on here. Just a bunch of good people willing to help each other. Couple years ago we had sone trouble makers, but fortunately they went away. This is probably one of the most trouble free forums I belong to. That's why I'm around so much. :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey man I was reading a thread and I need some help I can send the head to you I did some reading and webcams seem to be the best option I have kibblewhite valves and springs to put in I’m putting in a stroker +4 becuase I don’t know how to time with the +5 and I can’t find a cylinder spacer but I’m thinking a port and polish would be great if your still on here you should message me back for sure letting me know if you want to do this head if ya don’t no biggie I can probly find a shop to do it but seems like you know what your doing considering your talking about angling the valves and all types of stuff I can send the oem cams with the kibblewhite valves and the head over and if you could port and polish it lmk and lmk pricing please and if I can just switch over to webcams or I should get those before you port and polish idk if shimming would be different with those cams or not but like I said I’ll have a +4 crank with a 13.1:1 comp ratio kibblewhite valves witch are stock size lmk if I should get +1 on those and I’ll be getting webcams I’ll probly bore it to a 434 as well keep the 13.1:1 ik 17 just learning mods I’d love to learn anything I can and the best things to do....

1 - 19 of 19 Posts