Suzuki Central Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 04 Suzuki ltz 400 and I put the gas arrow on the “on” position and it won’t start so I put it on “prime” and it starts so I put switch it to on let it warm up and when I go around the Corner and slow down and hold the clutch in it just sputters out, so I’m not sure what it is and I don’t want to run it on the wrong position and mess up the engine, so if someone could explain what each “on/res/prime” means and tell me what I should be running it on that would be great 👍🏽

·
Super Moderator
3,383 Posts
On is the preferred position. It only allows gas flow when the engine is on, if working correctly. It is vacuum operated.
Prime lets gas flow regardless of engine running, and can flood the motor if you have leaks in the carb.
Reserve gets you home when you run out on the other positions.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So if it’s turning off on the “on” position do you think I should leav it on prime or why do you think it’s shutting off even though it’s in the on position

·
Super Moderator
4,456 Posts
These stock petcocks are junk. The diaphragm fails and it will only work in prime, but you risk flooding the engine with no “off” position. Most of us switch to a Raptor660 petcock and plug the vacuum line from the carb. That way you have on, off, reserve like a normal bike and have the assurance that, in the off position, it won’t fill the case with gas or leak from the overflow while it sets. Costs about $30 and your likely to never have a problem again.

Reactions: amcf18

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah exactly my buddy has a 660 and his just has a on/off/res, I’ll most likely be getting that set then, thanks!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts