Suzuki Central Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at getting another quad. Here's the story...... I am 28 and haven't been on a quad in 6 years other than my dad's Polaris 325. I have ridden dirtbikes and/or quads since I was 4. The last two quads I had were both National bikes. A 250r for MX and a Quadracer for TT. I raced local and National 250B for a few years back in my younger days. This time around I am looking for a quad I can trail ride and possibly race harescrambles and maybe even show-up at a few local fair mx races. I don't mind adding a few bolt-ons (pipe, shocks, axle, etc.), but I want the motor on my next quad to remain stock for reliability. I have narrowed it down to a new Z400 or used 400ex & the 250r. I really like to Z but I am not sure I want to spend the cash for a new bike. My buddy who just did a total restoration on his 86 250r rode a Z and didn't seem totally thrilled afterward. I am yet to ride one. Also, I am a little concerned about the reliablilty of the Z since it's new. Though I have had good luck out of both Suzukis I have owned in the past. Honestly, right now I am leaning more toward a used 400ex. Which is it the Z400, 400ex, or 250r? I'd like to hear your thoughts.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
If you like 2-stroke power get a shee cause this is there last year of production for them and you'll be pleased with the power.You wont go wrong with a z or an ex or even a dale cause there weight is just right and there all damn fast so get what ever you think feels the best to you.-Josh

·
Registered
88 Posts
LM, I couldn't have been any closer to the same situation you are in. I am 33, use to race 88' and 89' 250r all over the midwest. Well things changed I got married and got out of racing...Now I have 2 boys 7 and 4 yrs old one has a LT50 ande one a LT80. I couldn't stand watching them just ride, so I started looking at all the newer quads and even looked at a nice 89' stock 250r. I decided to go ride each new quad at some dealships around here. Hands down I picked the Z-400. All I can say is wow. If you buy the Z you will not be disappointed one bit. :)

·
Registered
143 Posts
since this is a site for the z400, i'm sure many wil say get the z. but if you have ridden 2 strokes before and can deal with the upkeep, there really isn't a better atv than the 250r in my book.

but the 400ex is no competition for the z. same handling, more speed, plus liquid cooled, and reverse. if its between the z and the ex. get the z. also there is just something about buying new. a used one never really feels llike its mine.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Sam, I agree with you about the 250r. I just think for someone that wants a dependable ride with little or no mods, the Z is just a perfect bike.

·
Registered
24 Posts
:) I'm 27 years old and just bought a new Z a few months ago. I just got into riding again over the last couple of years. My past riding experiences are almost exactly like yours. I laugh when I talk to a lot of young kids who are into quads but have never heard/seen/ridden the old Tecate 3's & 4's, Tri-Z's, 350X's, Quadracers or even a 250R. Those were great bikes and in my opinion are still some of the best. Here's my thoughts.

I love my Z. I've ridden almost every 3 and 4-wheeler out there and I can honestly say that the Z is top notch. Not necessarily the best in everything but probably the best ALL AROUND.

250R= I would love to own an 88' 250R. (I like the all red scheme). This bike rips. Stock to stock, it is fairly close to the Z. A little more top speed.
The suspension is great, the ergo's are spot on and the bike feels very light in flight. I like the power too. At the dunes, I would still prefer a 250R to a Z. On the trails, NO WAY. The Z would thrash it. IMO. Good luck finding a decent 250R thought. Most people beat the hell out of them. The 250R is all finesse. WAY ahead of its' time.

Banshee= Awesome 2-stroke power! I hate the ergos. I hate the suspension. Handles lousy in the turns. It's extremely out-dated looking (even with 50lbs of chrome) and there's a million of them out there. Most are dune-princess'. Never see the trail because most of the riders don't know how to ride in the woods or are afraid of getting it a little dirty. Ha. They stall like crazy on the tight trails too.

400EX= Great quad! This is one of the best. The Z though will do everything the 400EX will do and some a tad better, IMO. The bad thing about the 400EX is the lack of power. The Z has quite a bit more. But, if you were to find a cheap, nice used 400EX you could put a 440 kit in it and it would be much better.

Raptor= These are fun. I like the torque and big motor. I don't like the weight and large track. I'm 6'2" and 210lbs and the Raptor fits me great but it still is a little heavy and big for me. I would rather have a little less horsepower but a lot less weight and that's why I went with the Z400. The Z feels much better in flight and the turning is quicker in the twisties.

These are of course my opinions. Any machine you get will be a lot of fun. Riding is a stress relief for me and I look forward to any time I can spend on my Z.

Good luck.

·
Registered
49,506 Posts
400ex= proven honda reliabilty, thinks just keep on going!! look good, handle great, and probably the most popular modern atv..can fnd them pretty cheap used, great aftermarket parts

Z400= newest kid on the block...handling is just like 400ex, not so sure of reliability but so far so good, 1st year so problems are expected. Good power and great price...reverse to!

Raptor=torque monster! fast! handles so so...no problems with 2k2s, stay away from 2k1's though. Tranny problems...good machine but at $800 more than EX and Z...Id go wtih Z or ex....

250r=great quad! handling, power, everything. These things rip! again, honda reliabilty....been around for awhile, aftermarket is incredible..cant go wrong with one of these!

it depends on what you want..if i had the choice, 400ex or Z....but if $$ is an issue, a used 250r or 400ex might be best.if you want fastest, raptor i would assume, list goes on and on...you have to try them all out. I like em all and would love to have them all. Plus you gotta wait for the new pradator 500! ohh ya!!!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Get the Z400 or KXF400 man! Its not a new engine design! The Suzuki DRZ motors have been out for a few years now! :twisted:

·
Registered
544 Posts
since this is a site for the z400, i'm sure many wil say get the z.  but if you have ridden 2 strokes before and can deal with the upkeep, there really isn't a better atv than the 250r in my book.  

but the 400ex is no competition for the z.  same handling, more speed, plus liquid cooled, and reverse.  if its between the z and the ex.  get the z.  also there is just something about buying new.  a used one never really feels llike its mine.[/b]

well said

1 - 9 of 9 Posts