Suzuki Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok so now that my engine plans are all wrapped up, the next thing to look at is suspension. ( Many of you will argue I did that backwards :rolleyes: )

Anyway there are several options I can go with, so I need some advice on which way to go. As far as my riding style, I am not hardcore at all but would like to change that and go out riding a lot more (hence all the dumping on money into it lol) but I do the whole spectrum of riding - dunes (until I find one nearby...) trails, hills, tracks, creeks, fields etc etc.

Option 1 - Straight up GT Thunder Rebuild.

Option 2 - HLS suspension setup (Need info on these, local tech recommended)

Option 3 - Elka suspension (It seems Stage 3 is the norm)

Thanks a bunch

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
They put the HLS on the newer z400's. In my mind it would be cheaper.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Are you changing the A-arms or leaving them stock? I went with a +3 long travel A-arms and PEP shocks. Can't give you a review on mine because the shocks are being made for my set up. I did ride a quad with the same set up and it was unbelievable. So much smoother and turned so much better.

All the shocks you asked about are very good shocks. The more you spend the more adjustments the shocks will have. Some times I think to many adjustments unless you race on different tracks.

In the end you will really enjoy the ride after you get your new shocks.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am getting aftermarket a arms but I do not know which yet. Based on what I ride I'm
Guessing +2 would be good.

·
Registered
589 Posts
I also will be adding a +2 rear axle.

You will go crazy trying to figure out which shocks. If you can ride a quad with the same set up as you want that is the perfect way to determine if its for you.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yah I want to get a longer rear axle too, and I am undecided on a longer swingarm or not. I don't really know if I need one or not.

I will look around next time I go to a track if there are some modded quads but I don't ever really remember seeing any lol.

·
Premium Member
6,043 Posts
I've been through:
Pogos - Stiff and bouncy as hell.
07 with Rezzies - Great improvement yet wanted more, if you don't ride enough this is fine for you.
GT thunders - I drove over things like I was on butter, best suspension for the cash, although this wasn't set up for me correctly to I bottomed out and busted my oil rez pan bolt.
Elkas - These look hot on any machine, worked good just way to far off on being setup for me but were still good improvement over stock with rezzies especially with triple rate springs. (stage 2) I could imagine if these were set up for me they would be awesome.
iShocks - These have loads of adjustment and feel super plush over jumps but right now I only have single rate springs so I ordered dual rate springs for it. (I don't have a full review yet I can give you)

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've been through a few sets of shocks. :]
Want to share your wisdom then? lol

I guess a good question to ask is this.

If going from stock to GT Thunder is a night and day difference, how is going from GT thunder to an actual aftermarket shock?

I don't need anything TOO extreme here but if it really is THAT much better.

·
Premium Member
6,043 Posts
I would say the main reason people go from GT to say an aftermarket shock is the name. My best bet for you is get them re-done from GT and have at it man. And if you needed I might be getting a different rear because i would really like a dual rate spring for the stuff I ride. I would just need to know what your weight and what your riding on if this would be a good match or if you would be better off just getting your rear re-done.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I weigh 165. What I am riding on? Quads in my sig and riding terrain is in the OP.

·
Premium Member
6,043 Posts
The specs for my rear is 175lbs XC on +1 Swingarm. If someone can correct me I've heard for each inch extra or less it +/- 10-20 lbs. It would be better suited for you than me (I weight 150) but I would say just get it built for you then (unless your going to get an extended swinger sometime soon). Unless give GT thunder a call and see if those specs would be in your range of ridding. Someone there told me they only change spring strength every 25 lbs difference.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Alright, so aftermarket shocks really aren't that great past GT thunder? And I might actually have this guy in town rebuild my suspension, although he suggests I get the HLS first. He is said to be some sort of suspension prophet. He used to race pro atv. Not to mention it is cheaper for his rebuilds :p

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Lol, so from the description of what he does per price look like a good deal vs GT Thunder?

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well the thing that worried me (and trust me, I don't know what I'm talking about :) ) is that maul techs is not straightforward.

GT Thunder: Package price for Service, revalve, extend travel, and respring with a Dual rate spring kit - $395.00

Maul Tech:

Shock Rebuilds
(Includes everything with service, but also includes labor for Seal Head, Seals, Piston O-Ring and Valve Stack Removal and Installation.)

Front $155
Rear $140

Shock Revalving
(Includes Service + Labor for Revalving)

Front $155
Rear $140

What is GT's extend travel and dual rate spring kit? confused I am 0.o after typing all this it seems like it'd be silly not to go with GT thunder, as it seems they do more. But then again out of what they do I don't know what actually makes the shocks better.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Like I said "you will drive yourself crazy looking at shocks" Here is one more place to look at Jet Suspension. Really good reviews on the shocks.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts