Suzuki Central Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The wiring harness coil and cdi have done been replaced and if the stator was bad would it get spark or run?It has good spark holding it about an inch away from frame.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My battery 11.65volts and goes down to 10 volts I am still trying to fix a problem look at my last post on here.

·
Registered
10,239 Posts
The battery should sit idle at 12.5 or so volts and shouldn't drop below 10.5 when you crank it. If you have an aftermarket Cdi they tend to require more juice to start the engine than the stock cdi

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I tried roll starting it thinking my valves might be off a little and it i will just sit there and crank over and over and backfire every once in a while but I put my stock carb and cdi back on

·
Registered
10,239 Posts
Possibility

·
Premium Member
7,896 Posts
The charging system and ignition system are seperate, but the stator is responsible for making the power for both. Having spark means nothing about battery voltage. If your voltage is low, it is either a bad voltage regulator/ rectifier which is located on the left side of the sub frame, or it could be the stator.

There is an easy test if you can run an ohm meter. One of the plugs coming from the stator will have 3 wires all the same color. (white or yellow, I cant remember which right now) Unplug that connector, and check the resistance all 3 ways. (make sure you are checking the one coming from the stator) They should all match pretty closely and be around 1 or 2 ohms.

If you dont get a reading on one of them, or the reading is way off from the other two, then your stator is bad. If they all read correctly, then your voltage regulator is bad.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I put another voltage regulator on it but I figured if it had spark the stator would be good.Ive found a stator for $40 im going to get.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
I would strongly advise you make sure its a good one for $40. I never recommend using used electrical parts, it may end up the you get one thats just as bad, or might not last very long. A new one is only $159.95

Paul

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I just replaced the stator and its getting great spark.The timing is dead on could it be the valves because it is getting fuel.Before it happened every once in a while when I attempted to start it, it would turn over for about a min until it started.

·
Registered
273 Posts
why dont you just check your valve clearances? if you know how to check your timing then you should be able to check your valves while your right there. probably your intakes are tight. its a free check too.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Sometimes troubleshooting can be a nightmare...especially if it involves electrical wiring and components....id recommend a better breif on what exactly is happening and what you've done...have you been able to start it....and once its started does it studder when u go to rev it? what motorwork do you have done? and what has been done recently before u had problems

·
Premium Member
7,896 Posts
I just replaced the stator and its getting great spark.The timing is dead on could it be the valves because it is getting fuel.Before it happened every once in a while when I attempted to start it, it would turn over for about a min until it started.
Yes that sounds like valves but the only way to know is to check the clearance.

Does your battery charge properly now?

·
Registered
62 Posts
I would highly recommend that you dont turn that motor over at all! You need to get that cylinder head off and look at ur valves...get a second opinion obviously but i think u may have a bent valve

·
Registered
62 Posts
I should prolly retract the extremity of a bent valve...but at the least u have a valve problem and the more u try to start it the more chances u have of needing a new cylinder head when that valve splits in half

·
Registered
41 Posts
Check the grounds on your battery for any wear . If you have a bad ground or a bad battery your bike will run for a bit until your battery gets low then it will start to backfire then stall

1 - 20 of 22 Posts