Suzuki Central Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well since the polaris forums blow and no one answers threads i need some help. I picked up a 2008 outlaw 525 two weeks ago. Not sure if its a common issue, but when I bought it, it was a bit hard finding neutral compared to other quads I've owned, but other than that no problems still had the original tires with plenty of tread. The other day I went to go riding and discovered the quad won't shift past 2nd gear. It'll only shift into 1st, neutral, and 2nd. Any ideas of what it could be and what I could look for. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
4,890 Posts
same as a KTM ?? what do they say?

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
what does the clutch feel like? Is it out of adjustment? Bent shift shaft?

·
Super Moderator
4,679 Posts
Has it ever gone past second gear since you bought it?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes when i first bought it, it shifted fine and i havent tried rocking it while the engines off just having it still, the clutch feels fine to me and has enough fluid, when its in second i cant even get the shifter to move to go up into a higher gear

·
Super Moderator
4,679 Posts
Agree with trying shifting with the engine off. If that doesn't work, have you drained the oil yet? Pulled the oil filter? Look for signs of metal.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I bet your clutch needs adjusted.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Havent drained the oil and didnt get a chance to look at it today anymore, ill try shifting with it off tomorrow and post again and ill try adjusting the clutch

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Even with the quad off i cant get it to shift into 3rd 4th or 5th gear. Tried it while rocking the quad back and forth as well. I'm gonna try adjusting the clutch today.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Drained the oil through a coffee filter and there were any metal chunks or anythinh thay came out but the oil was very sludgy. Gonna add a little seafoam to the new oil and run it to try to free some off the sledge up

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
I bet someone installed a powerglide in it while you weren't looking!
That cracked me up!!!!

GITZEN did your trans free up yet?

My first thought was a bent shift rod also.

·
Super Moderator
4,679 Posts
+2 on the bent shift shaft.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Has it ever gone past second gear since you bought it?
I have a question I have a 2004 Suzuki ltz400 and I’ve had it for about a month but rn I was going through gears normally but I stopped and put it in neutral and then 1st but when I got to 2nd the quad felt like it was choking

1 - 17 of 17 Posts