Suzuki Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well my buddy had a problem with his z.first when we tryed to start the bike gas whould shoot out of the exhuast. so i took the carb to my house cleaned it and put in a rebuild kit put it back on the bike now it wont even turn over.we even hooked it to the car with jumper cables and still nothing. there's power cause the lights and WooterWooterWooterWooter will run but all the tarter is doing is clicking.so we decided to pull the bike down the road with a car and still nothing,we believe the starter is froze up any ideas? :confused:

·
Registered
417 Posts
It sound like you had a carb issue flooding out the engine. I would check the oil and make sure its not also full of gas. It probably is a good idea to go ahead and change the oil. As far as it not starting was the engine turning over while trying to bump start it? Have you checked for spark? You could pull the started and bench test it.

·
Administrator
12,453 Posts
I got a pretty good idea of what it could be .........................but, oh yeah I forgot what you think about me.

wow both of yall are stupid and no spize u messaged me tryin to act hard say u want my addresse hahah ur lame youd never meet up with me and if u did id turn ur spiz in to swallows and no i dont...

and don't worry I won't post here again but I want everyone to remember YOUR attitude towards the people on this board. I hope you find your answer but I won't be a part of it.

·
Registered
433 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,886 Posts
I got a pretty good idea of what it could be .........................but, oh yeah I forgot what you think about me.

wow both of yall are stupid and no spize u messaged me tryin to act hard say u want my addresse hahah ur lame youd never meet up with me and if u did id turn ur spiz in to swallows and no i dont...

and don't worry I won't post here again but I want everyone to remember YOUR attitude towards the people on this board. I hope you find your answer but I won't be a part of it.
Good thing... nobody likes a spitter. :eek:

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
I was about to help you as I had a similar problem on the ltr but since I read spize's post, I'll keep it to myself :p

·
Registered
4,131 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
^+1 with chris....and all the others that posted after him...even though you trashed us...im willing to lend a helping hand. lets face it, in the end we are all still members of this site and all enjoy what our Z's have to offer. so back to the topic at hand. i had this same problem last week...trying to bump start it or jump it with a car or charger isnt going to work. start with the spark. your Going to have to pull the tank to pop the plug. check for spark...if thats good then re-install it and move to front of the quad. Now get a rag handy and pull out your oil dip stick. if the oil starts to rush out or is filled to the very top then there is your problem. Stick you finger in and take a sniff...i bet its going to smell like fuel. If that is the case then that means the bottom end is filled with fuel and is the cause of the no start. get yourself enough oil and filters to do at least 2 changes. its going to run like crap after the first oil change but it will get better by the second. if you dont smell fuel in the oil and have spark then id pull the starter and also like chris said and bench test it. once your all set i would get onto ebay and get yourself a raptor 660 petcock. this will allow you to turn the fuel off and not fill the carb while it sits. hope this helps..good luck

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks to hitman and chris for the ideas. yea before i took his carb offf the bottom case was filled with gas so we drained it and put fresh oil in.then i took the carb off, cleaned it and out in a rebuild kit put it back on and now it wont turn over all the starter does is click ,and that with it hooked up to jumper cables to a car so it has plenty of juice.pulled it behind the car doing 30 and still nothing.when he poped the clutch all it did was slide??? would like more ideas and thoughts thanks

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
Mine did the same thing... The motor was locked up.

·
Registered
573 Posts
pull the starter and do a bench test. if it works on the bench then it should work in the wheeler. if does not fully engage on the bench then theres your problem. if it works just fine then im going to have to say it something inside the motor and prob. isnt going to be cheep to fix. Can we get a little more back story on what you or he was doing before the problem started? and also everything you have tried to fix it? might help with finding the cure

·
Premium Member
5,886 Posts
Hmm, sounds like it could be one or two things. B/c i'm stupid I won't say them. Good luck.

·
Registered
589 Posts

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
PULL THE PLUG!!! Either the cylinder is full of gas and you have tweaked your connecting rod by dragging it behind a car....doing 30??

Or the motor is mechanicaly locked up, and you made it worse by dragging it behind a car.

Pull the timing inspection plugs and try to spin the motor over with a ratchet+ 17mm socket. (the right way to do it.)

·
Registered
433 Posts
take off the thing on the side and see if the part will move, hehe i hate being stupid.
anyway tho, being more serious cause take off the allen cover on the lert side cover and see if the you can turn the motor over, if not then you got problems, err i mean the motor does ;)

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
well before the case got filled with gas it ran fine carb was a lil dirty but he put some b-12 chemitool in it and it blew it out.so he put it under a tarp outside and let it sit for a lil while not sure how long but tryed to crank it and it wouldnt start just keep turning over and when it did fire once it shot gas out of the exhaust and then shut off.after that it just keep turning over so we pulled the carb and i cleaned it put it back on now no turnover. only thing i have done was clean the carb for him. i dont think hes done anything to it. thanks agian for the ones that gave helpful inputs.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
If I understand right, the engine wont turn over at all. Have you ever removed the started gear? Or removed the left side cover? I had a similar problem because I installed the starter gear wrong. Everything tightened back up like it should but when I tried to start it would just click and the engine wouldn't turn over at all. However it would turn backwards by hand.
Whenever I removed that gear, both the starter and the engine turned properly.

So I would check if by removing it the starter now turns or just clicks.
And if you can turn the engine by hand at least one way.

If what I described happens, then my guess would be on the starter gear being put in wrong.

·
Registered
573 Posts
does he usually give the throttle a few quick stabs before he fires it up? if so and it sat for a week or so...the carb would have allready had enough fuel in it to flood it...adding more fuel to the carb (ie pumping like normal a few times) floods the motor. if he let it sit like that for to long there is a chance he white washed the bearings in the bottom end. and when you tried to pop start it by dragging it at 30mph, it was to much for them to handle in turn taking them out. id hate to tell you to pull the motor and spilt the cases for something thats not the problem but id see if you can turn the motor by hand first, then if not thats prob what your problem is going to be.....

1 - 20 of 55 Posts