Suzuki Central Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats your guys thoughts on them. I do mostly trail riding and am gonna try some MX races and maybe some harescrambles this year but mainly trial ride. Would these be a good introductory set for me to get better on the Z400 with. If I did would I be better off spendin the extra for the rezzies or just get the regular triple rates?

·
Registered
8,639 Posts
absrio, I think the best investment you can make would be the trs ssd w/ rez. Anything less than is not worth your time. 9 times out of 10 you are going to want to upgrade anyways, so you might as well get it right the first time. As for Works, I do not know that much about them, but I do hear mixed reaction from people. Myself, I am going straight to Elka for shocks.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
I have had WORKS on several quads and have been happy.If you are going to race get Custom Axis. If you are going to trail ride, I would get works. A shock built for trails won't be good on MX. You will need know what you want to do the most.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
heard they're really good, but not the best, be better to just save for some elka's or TCS or something

·
Registered
11 Posts
shocks

I have a set of works triple rate with rezzies on my 400ex and i love them.(compared to stock) my quad sits about 2 in lower than stock and handles much better. You get what you pay for. :D

·
Registered
970 Posts
How much faster on the trils can you go when you come up on 7-10" bummpy whoop type sections? I want to be able to run right over them at 30 mph. Right now I pretty much have to slow down to 15 mph. That is how the terrain is most places where I ride, so can the works allow me to cruise over these sections without issues?

·
Registered
717 Posts
The whole Works versus Elka is a extremley large suspension debate.
It is really whether or not you can spend that much money on suspension to get the Elkas if you have the choice between getting Works shocks and a pipe or Elkas I would say go with the Elkas and get the pipe down the road I own a dirt bike but have had many quads before and I had a 300EX with Works and noticed a big difference but a friend of mine got Elkas put on his 400EX and the difference was amazing and it was enough to make me regret getting the Works.
Anyways my opinion is that if you can afford the Elkas go for them you wont be dissapointed.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
I have ridden a Z with Elkas and mine has Works. I can't tell that one is any better than the other for trail/play riding. If you want a better set of shocks than Works, buy Custom Axis.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Look at what the GNC and GNCC champs run. Custom Axis!!! Most of us don't need high dollar shocks. We just need some set up for our weight and riding conditions.

·
Registered
11 Posts
shocks

There is a trail that we ride on that has a whooped section, they are about 10in high, and i can sail through them in 4th gear pinned and they seem to easily soak them up with no bottoming, but they are spaced about a quad length apart! I sure would recommend them. :D

·
Registered
717 Posts
Look at what the GNC and GNCC champs run. Custom Axis!!! Most of us don't need high dollar shocks. We just need some set up for our weight and riding conditions.[/b]
Yeah I dont understand that maybe they think more expensvive is better (usually is) but I dont see the advantage Custom Axis has over Elka.
Can anyone tell me what make them better?

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
I am friends with both Jeremiah Jones and Bill Ballance. They tell me that the quality of the springs and the valving package are better with Custom Axis. Elkas are good shocks And most riders would be very happy with them. Works is also a very good shock. They have been doing this for 25 years. They are not the best but are equal to most.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I just got my works pro series with rezzies and WOW they are nice.The guy
that does all the suspension work at the races here says you cant beat em
for the money.I was gonna buy axis but they were 350.00 more for the
same set-up.

Jeff

·
Registered
118 Posts
I know this is a stupid comment, but I hate the color of the Works shocks. That baby blue and white is just not doing it for me. Man, I am weak.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Works has different color springs. They ask me if I wanted red but, I wanted the blue and white. The shock covers were the paint off quick.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I got all black springs they look great.I could'nt believe the difference in
apperance between steelers and pro series.

Jeff

1 - 20 of 20 Posts