Suzuki Central Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's amazing all the different setups and I can't find one like mine if there is anyone with the same exact setup under 3000' please fill me in with what carb. Adjustments you did. Please! Main jet size, clip groove, ect. Thanks.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Well, I may be as close as you're going to get. I have the full Yoshi and pro-flow, but I have a K&N. I have the snorkel, but left the stock air box lid off. i'm at 2500 ft. I have the main jets at 150, Yoshimura's recommendations. If you haven't been on their website you can get your jetting question answered there. They have a corrections section that shows different settings than their dyno charts show. (leaner)

Mine works PERFECTLY. By the way the rest of my carb settings are identical to yours. Here's the webpage you need. Good luck!

http://www.yoshimura-rd.com/corrections.asp

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
bdiddy Thanks for the reply, The K&N and no lid creates a bit more air flow than what I am running still, below is what Yoshi recommends I don't understand why they recommend using a smaller main that stock (130)

LTZ400 Full System Exhaust:
2175157, 2175500
Jetting for Stock Airbox with no modifications:
Mikuni main jet #122.5

They also recommend using the stock needle and I had already paid $45 for a kit and installed the DynoJet needle.

Thanks again for your reply but there must be someone with the same setup?! Anyone?!

·
Registered
584 Posts
Spaguru is running an outerwear airbox cover, these are the settings:
(Yoshi full exhaust, foam pro-flow filter, and the previously mentioned cover)
155 Main, Dynojet Needle on 4th groove from top, Mixture 3.5 out

I will be running a similiar setup to yours until I modify my airbox cover, luckily you get to experiment since my parts aren't in. Let us know what you end up with.

·
Registered
47 Posts
fourstroken.....I'm not sure either. To be honest I think that's why I went with the "no cover" set up! :) I didn't want to hastle with the jetting for less air flow. Have you called Yoshi? If those numbers are correct they are basically saying that the stock settings are over-rich to be over-safe. Mine's working REALLY well using their recommened settings. They aren't the only one recommending a smaller than stock jet....

Here's what Dyno Jet recommends for your set up:

You fall under their description of Stage 1. Stock airbox with stock,or aftermarket filter. Works well with aftermarket exhaust.

1. Needle on 3rd groove. (below 5000 feet)
2. When using an aftermarket exhaust with high flow baffle use the Dyno Jet 124 for applications below 3000 feet.
3. Back out mixture screw 3.5 turns for applications below 5000 feet.

With these two recommendations, if you feel that they may be too lean....start with the stock jetting and see how it runs and check the plug.

Here's Dyno Jey's phone number...they may be able to shed a little light on your subject. (800) 992-4993. Good luck!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys for the info, I did call Yoshimura and they said to use the Mikuni main jet #122.5 because like bdiddy said stock settings are over-rich to be over-safe. Right now I'm running a DJ128 and it seems to be fine I'll have to check it again next ride out. This summer I plan on installing a EHS Racing Outerwear air box lid and will have to rejet. But its way to wet right now to even think about taking the lid off.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sounds like Spaguru is running the same setup I'll be running this summer.
Are you under 3000' Sc0? my Signature has my current setup, I'll keep it updated if I find I need to change my main jet.

·
Registered
584 Posts
I am at 87 feet above sealevel. I am still waiting for my parts, I am getting a "Moose" jetting kit as preferred by the Dealer so I am not sure as to what it comes with.

What do you do with the pilot jet, I think someone mentioned to change it out?

·
Registered
22 Posts
moose jet kit

moose jet kit, k&n jet kit are both actually dynojet jet kits...
i run a yoshi full sys., proflow foam filter, dynojet 140 main, and dynajet needle set on the 3rd groove, snorkel removed, yoshi recommended a 145 main but i had to drop to a 140 main because i use thunder products dial-a-jet.. set is great. before the dial-ajet the both dynojet and yoshi recommended the 145 main and it worked great also.. 17 feet above sea level.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
slammer-ZThanks for the reply. Did you just remove the snorkel cap or the whole snorkel? I am having a heck of a time nailing this jetting thing, thought I had it right on with a 128 main then one day I pulled the plug and its white like I'm running lean. I'm looking at a 136 main plus where as before the 136 it was to rich. And I'm getting a more of a gray color than a tan. The weather has been a little colder maybe 10 degrees at most hard to believe that it would make that much of a difference.

·
Registered
22 Posts
yes i removed the whole snorkel and ordered the outer wear snorkel cover for the 400ex for extra protection fit perfect. i think if you remove your snorkel for more air the 136 or 138 might be the ticket for you. more air going in needs more fuel..right?

·
Registered
582 Posts
fourstroken iam at 800' above sealevel. Running lid and snorkle with the snorkle cap removed. If you dont have the tec options and are running just the spark arrestor, run the new needle at third position, 144 jet, stock pilot, 3.5 turns out with aftermarket filter and aftermarket exhaust. The best combo.
Now, if you remove the lid and snorkle its a different story.

I ride alot of woods trails, usually by the end of the day I look like a rolling mud clod. I chose to play with jets till the combo work for my riding conditions.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the infoResq, man am I ever tired of changing out the jets, I can do it in five minutes though. :D
I get water in my air box completely stock so I don't think it would be good right now to remove anything, although I have had about enough of the farting around with the stock box and I’m about to install the EHS Racing air box lid outerwear and throw a 150 or a 155 main in.

·
Registered
47 Posts
slammer-ZThanks for the reply. Did you just remove the snorkel cap or the whole snorkel?  I am having a heck of a time nailing this jetting thing, thought I had it right on with a 128 main then one day I pulled the plug and its white like I'm running lean. I'm looking at a 136 main plus where as before the 136 it was to rich. And I'm getting a more of a gray color than a tan. The weather has been a little colder maybe 10 degrees at most hard to believe that it would make that much of a difference.[/b]
Fourstroken....What happened? It ran well, you checked the plug and got scared? 8O Just kiddin'! Did Yoshi's recommendations end up a littl lean for you? Any "pinging" or running hot (fan running)? I'll have to check my plug again.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Thanks for the infoResq, man am I ever tired of changing out the jets, I can do it in five minutes though. :D  [/b]
Know what you mean. With the cold it will effect your air/fuel mixture.
I bought the 90 degree screw driver from motion pro to adjust my carb while its running. Iam out just over 4 turns. Its been in the upper teens, low Twenties for a while. 3-3.5 turns are good as it gets warmer.

Part of the fun with quads are tinkering with them.
Let me know how it goes.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I don't know what happened? I am so confused. I didn't notice a difference with the way it ran but checking the plug it seems to run lean with the 128, 132 main where like I said it was fine before. Do you think that 10 degrees difference could cause me to need a bigger jet that would suck every time the weather changed and what do you make of the Gray color and not tan? I had the fan come on while riding tight wooded trails with both the 128 and the 132 main it came on about as often as stock. I had even put a new gaped plug in and at 132 I still am not getting much or any color but it has been colder lately.

·
Registered
582 Posts
"tinkering"  I just want to ride now![/b]
lol

Dont think you will have to change jets just cause of lower temps. Once you get the jet you need, you will just adjust the idle mixture a bit.

4 stroke motors arent as picky as the 2strokes.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I have the same exact setup!!!!

Hey Fourstroken,

I have the exact same setup that you are planning on installing over the summer. I have the yoshi comp full system with pro-flow foam filter, but I took my airbox lid off and bought an EHSracing cover. I run a 155 main, needle clip on 4th groove from top, and air screw 3.5 turns out. She runs perfect!!! No hesitations or bogging. Feels as smooth as stock. This summer when it gets warmer, I may screw with it a little more, but it's too cold right now.

Good luck

1 - 20 of 33 Posts