Suzuki Central Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:( Ihave had my z400 for 1 month.I have a little over 10 hrs on it.Ive ridden it stock up to about the 10 hour mark.My troubles began my last trip riding.I bought some sand skateII paddle tires.I went to Pismo beach riding.About 45 minutes into the ride the bike died like it was out of gas.The tank was still almost full.Tried to restart no deal.Only way to start bike was to to put choke on all the way.Once choke was on bike would only idle for like 30 to 45 seconds before dying.If i tied to take choke off while bike was idling it would die.If i tried to givre it gas the bike would die.Had to let bike cool for 15 minutes or so to get bike going again.This trouble happened many times over the course of the trip.Didn't have much fun :( .Took bike back to dealer to have them check it out.As i pretty much already knew what the were going to say, we checked it out and could not duplicate the problem.Has any one else out there had problems like the one i described .Any help would be greatly appreciated. :)P.S when i got the bike started i put it in reserve and it ran fine for almost 2hours until almost out of gas.Have not been riding since

·
Registered
40 Posts
i had the same troubles, but it was with my first tank of gas... the gas from the dealer, was a bad tank it had water in it... and the water was clogging up my carb..... what i did to get my Z back to the truck was once i got it to start, i had the air filter off and covered the intake with a rag and gave it some gas and it forced the water off of the jets so gas could get through.. once i got it home i cleaned the carb and drain the tank and put fresh gas in a it's ran fine ever since..

·
Registered
105 Posts
This happened to me and I now that I think about it, it happened on my first tank of gas also. After I filled my Z up with some premium it hasn't had any problems. This is starting to make me wonder what causes this because you are now the 5th or so person this has happened to. Only difference with mine was I let it sit for 2 mins then switched to reserve and put the choke on and it fired up.

Keep us up to date on the problem, I would like to know if it happens to you again or its a one time deal. Seems like this problem only happens for a day then goes away. WEIRD!

·
Registered
19 Posts
I had this problem also,i believe it was my second tank of gas. Ever thing was fine the next two times out,but last time it started acting up again kind of like it was not getting any fuel when i started to get on the gas.Kind of makes you a little nervous when your miles from no where.good luck if you find something out pm me please.

·
Registered
660 Posts
wow, i guess this is hapening to everyone. when that happened to me i just put it on prime, fired it up and put it on reserve. makes me wonder if it's the vacuum operated fuel valve that's doin' it.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
We have two Z's, no such problems. None what so ever actually.

·
Registered
142 Posts
mine did it after 2- 10 minute rides on factory gas. choke it and it would fire then die. let it just sit for about 1 minute and tried starting without hiting the gas at all and it ran fine. Has ran fine ever since then. I personally believe that it has something to do with the vacume petcock deal. I wondered if the engine needed to break in and start getting better compresion seal and such for it to operate the vacume properly, I dont think anyone has really solved this mestery for sure yet.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I had the exact same problem. Mine started after I went through some pretty nasty wet and muddy runs. There is a drain plug in the side of the cylinder and that drain is for the plug. What happens is that mud and water went into the drain hole in the side of the cylinder and got into the plug cap and that is what caused the problem. I took it to the dealer and he told me that when you clean it you need to take the plug cap off and spray water into the opening (don't remove the plug or you will be in a world of hurt) and flush the dirt and grime out the pee hole in the side. You will then need to wait until it drys before you start it. Yours sounds very new and maybe you didn't get it wet or dirty but that is exactly the same thing that happened to me.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts