Suzuki Central Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was riding down a pretty bumpy trail haulin some ass and it started to bog and would accelerate, so I turned around and headed back to the truck cause I didn't want to get stuck. Well halfway back to the truck it finally just died and wouldn't start back up. I turned it on reserve and cranked it but nothing then I put the choke on and it started up. I had about what looked to be half a tank of gas. WTF?? After it started I went back to the truck and let it cool down for a while then when I took it out for a ride it was fine. Later in the day I was messing around by the truck and it started to bog and back fired then died once again this time I think it just ran out of gas cause I looked in the tank and there wasn't much gas in there at all and when I put gas in it, it started back up but didn't take it for a ride because I was heading back home. Both times the quad was pretty hot because I went for a pretty long ride both times and my Z only has about 9 hours on it. Any ideas??

I just hope its not a problem with the carb or maybe that stupid petcock thanks.

·
Registered
794 Posts
This hasa happened to me but only on reserve. Sometimes when its bumpy gas just can't get to the carb or something? I think it might be the petcock but i don't see how it could be an engine problem.

Later

·
Registered
19 Posts
The same thing happened to me but i think i can rule out over heating.I was riding in very ruff conditions going up a steep incline and it just seemed to run out of gas then started briefly with the chock on then died and would not restart for about half an hour.My quad was cool because we had just taken a break and had a full tank of fuel.And as far as dirt in the fuel or carb my quad had about 2hr. of ride time on it.PS it ran fine the rest of the day.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Jrotten I really think its the Suzuki fuel setup, the bike started to bog 1/4 throttle, then half, then full so I think it wasn't getting fuel. My Z ran fine the rest of the day too except for actually running out of gas by the truck and it acted the same way. I just don't know how it wasn't getting fuel when there was half a tank in it the first time.

·
Registered
19 Posts
jride im taken mine out this weekend ill let you know what happens.Its gotta be better than last time. I had to tow it out of the woods at jackfrost thru 3 miles of pure up hill rocky hell.My guess would be the fuel shut off set up.I wasnt about to start wrenchen on it in the woods with the tools suzuki supplied.By the way i see your from NJ have you ever riden at njorvp?Iwas thinking of going there saturday.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah def. let me know how it runs because i'm not going to ride mine this weekend i'll be waiting until the Sunday after. I have never been to njorpv, I actually never even heard of it, where is it located?

I've heard the trails at Jack Frost are REALLY rocky is this true? My buddies and I were thinking of going out there in a couple of weeks and i've heard mixed reviews about it. Some say its nice and especially if you like MX and other people say the rocks on the trails are the size of basketballs. If you could tell me a little about it I would appreciate it. You can email me at [email protected] or just im me at JRide.

·
Registered
133 Posts
hey guys,I have'nt had this problem,but with a vacuum activated petcock
you have to have good vac. to pull fuel,you might check intake boot clamps,also could have been a stuck float.If it happens again try the pri
setting on the p/c for a few seconds to fill the bowl.

Jeff

·
Registered
142 Posts
Hey,
i have had my z for about 10 days and i have put 5+ hours on it a day and have ran several tanks of gas through it and i have never had that problem but i have heard the same thingf about that fuel petcock.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I have had sort of the same problem, I ran through some mud and water and some water got in the drain hole in the side of the cylinder and gets up into the plug cap and after the bike warms up it starts to sputter and shuts down. The fix is to always when you wash the quad take the spark plug cap off and spray water into the hole in the side of the cylinder this will wash off any dirt or mud that is in there. It is a drain from the spark plug, weird if you ask me I haven't seen another quad that had this. It cost me $25.00 at the dealer for him to tell me that, I guess it is normal on the DRZ dirt bike. Hope this helps.

Balzak

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks i'll have to check that out tonight to see if there is any dirt in there that could be clogging the drain hole. Maybe some water was stuck in there. I still don't like that damn vaccum petcock though!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts