Suzuki Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So. I sold my 06 z400 to a friend for his wife. I had never had a problem with the bike, it was bought for an ex-fiance who didnt put very many hours on it.

Anyway... he brought it out to me a month ago and said he couldnt get it to run except with the choke on. It had old gas in it that had deteriorated so I cleaned:

petcock
pilot jet and orifice
main jet and orifice
needle and seat
pulled and clean plug

Not sure which fixed it but fired right up and ran really well

fast forward to last weekend at the sand

The bike ran fine for 2-4ish hours and she decided to try a tree shot. (meaning she really got on it) and at the top it died and I have not been able to get it to fire since. I pulled the jets and needle at the dunes with no luck. I pulled the pet WooterWooterWooterWooter here, and even through a raptor one on with no luck. I decided to check the valves after doing many searches. I found it odd that it would run GREAT then all of the sudden die and not start but figured I would rule them out and check them anyway.... I rotated the engine to TDC but the cams arent lining up like they should:

This is at "TDC" according to the flywheel, I thought I may be 180 degrees out but it didnt seem to change anything:

I know this isnt correct, according to the manual the lobes should be pointing at 10 and 2 ish o'clock.... Why is this? I checked the cam chain tensioner and still have 4 clicks left (not great but still working).......

Now. I dont think this is my issue with starting... As I tried to pull start it with no luck at all. I cranked over by battery and then decided to pull the plug. It was wet and soaked, I cranked the motor over to clear out the cylinder and got a LOT of gas out of the plug hole. I cleaned plug and reinstalled with no luck. I even noticed there is gas weeping out of the header to canister connection on the exhaust..... It seems logical to me to start looking at the pilot circuit but I cleaned them at the sand already. With that said, I didnt have compressed air, just carb cleaner.... Also the fuel screw has never been tampered with (still has the brass plug) so I cant see that as being the issue.....

·
Registered
363 Posts
It looks like your exhaust is open in the picture, which means you are at TDC on the exhuaust stroke. Turn the crank ove 180 again and you will be on the compression stroke. Go slow and watch for the mark, its easier to find it with the plug out as the compression will make it tougher to go slow.

·
Registered
4,131 Posts
The cams are definitely off big time! When your at TDC is the piston all the way up? If it's not probably snapped woodrof key. But if piston is all the way up on TDC, put the cams to correct timing and see if starts. Chain might be bad and let cams jump teeth or tensioner is bad.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I rotated the engine over and watched the cams and got them to where they are 'suppose' to be (or roughly close to) however I went back and forth on the flywheel nut and never did find the mark.....

·
Registered
363 Posts
The cams are definitely off big time! When your at TDC is the piston all the way up? If it's not probably snapped woodrof key. But if piston is all the way up on TDC, put the cams to correct timing and see if starts. Chain might be bad and let cams jump teeth or tensioner is bad.

The piston is at TDC twice in a full cycle, once when it is pushing the exhaust out and once when it is compressing the fuel/air on the compression stroke. In the case of the picture, the exhaust valves are open, so it is on the exhaust stroke. One more full turn on the crank will be the compression stroke with both valves closed.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
also tensioner seems to be working properly. I reinstalled and put spring back in a few times to make sure it works and it did a few times just fine.

·
Registered
4,131 Posts
Put a long a$$ straw in where the spark plug goes and watch it go up and down as you turn it over by hand. Once you see the straw go up to almost it's highest point take a look and see if it shows TDC mark there. Keep doing this till you see cams are aligned at TDC compression stroke it will make it easier to find the T .

·
Registered
4,131 Posts
The piston is at TDC twice in a full cycle, once when it is pushing the exhaust out and once when it is compressing the fuel/air on the compression stroke. In the case of the picture, the exhaust valves are open, so it is on the exhaust stroke. One more full turn on the crank will be the compression stroke with both valves closed.
Lol! Ya I know, I posted it too quickly without re reading it, and I've had a few cold ones already:) The straw trick helped me to find T mark better, and also the little air pop sound when it's compression stroke surprised me when I was looking down the spark plug hole lol.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Lol I hear ya, I seem to have more problems when working on my quad and drinking at the same time. It never fails I will strip something out or forget something.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I went out and pulled the flywheel cover... Is there only the one 'T' mark? When the cams are lined up like they 'should be' the piston IS at TDC but the mark is NOT lined up at all... not even close. When the t mark is lined up (on both strokes) the piston is not even close to tdc, ALMOST bdc actually.....

If the woodruff key was broken I would not be able to spin the flywheel by hand and move the top end parts. The flywheel would just spin on the crank end.

·
Premium Member
5,886 Posts
Has anyone ever been in there? Something sounds fishy... TDC on the compression stroke should have those cams line right up where they should be. Doesn't sound like you've jumped time. I'd have to check my stock cams, but it could be possible that the actual sprockets spun on the cams. Try holding the cams and lightly turn the engine by hand, very lightly. Just enough to see if the sprockets are spinning while the cams are not.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
In the head, no. The one way has been replaced twice though.

·
Registered
190 Posts
So. I sold my 06 z400 to a friend for his wife.....
Does she clean and cook? If so good deal!

haha just some late night Rodney Dangerfield humor....!

Actually I had the same problem as you did last week, bike running awesome and then quits, would barely try to run only if fully choked. I haven't had time or ambition to work on mine yet, hopefully soon. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
5,886 Posts
Hmm, nevermind. I'm looking at my cams right now and they line up the same way. Are you absolutely positive you're at TDC on the compression stroke?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I marked the T with a sharpie and even double checked the old flywheels and the mark is 'above' the 3 diamond Mitsubishi symbol on the inside of the flywheel....

the flywheel mark doesnt line up with TDC which doesnt line up with the cams correctly

WTF

also I tried lightly hold the back lobe while I spun the flywheel by hand and couldn't hold them so I dont think the sprockets are spinning on the cams

·
Premium Member
5,886 Posts
Well, forget about the T mark now. Rotate until both cams are in the correct position and see if the piston is at TDC, if it is, then something is seriously not right. If it's not at tdc then you're timing is severely off.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I rotated it 180 from that picture and the cams are still WAY out of whack compared to what they should be....

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
I rotated the flywheel until the cams are where they are suppose to be, and the piston WAS at TDC.... however the flywheel mark doesnt get anywhere CLOSE to where it should be...... w t f??

Pull the flywheel and inspect the woodruff key?

So the motor itself is rotating/timed correctly, however the electrical system would not be firing at the right moment... With that said, now I have to figure out how the hell that happened...

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So popped the flywheel off.... low and behold:

Sheered woodruff key... probably trying to fire on the compression stroke lol

next question, is this a suzuki specific part or will a woodruff key from the local hardware store work? Just wondering if this is a 'hardened' part or what

·
Registered
4,131 Posts
Man im sorry to hear :( You went down from the easiest visual inspection down to the last thing it could be, thats the way i wouldn have done it as well. Great job finding the problem:) The one thing that gave it away for me was the fact that no matter how many times you turned to T mark, piston was never at the top. Hopefully there was no valve to piston contact and it will be just a simple replacement fix. I only say simple because you look like you know your way around an engine by looking at your signature:D

1 - 20 of 23 Posts