Suzuki Central Forum banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I recently rebuilt the carb on my z400. Now its really hard to start cold and it won't start at all if its choked. After it starts and warms up it will idle great and run great until you try to open it up then it starts spitting and sputtering and won't open up much at all...any idea what might be the problem?

·
Registered
7 Posts
alright well i tore my down and had a stuck ring.. so new piston and rings put it back together.. mind you i check my valves before tear down they were all in spec.. put the motor back together and the intake valve is actually hold one of the intake valves open and the other only has .05mm but both exhaust are fine.. any idea what happened here?

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Did you switch the buckets? Also after everything is torqued to spec., spin the motor over a few times before you check the valves.

·
Registered
7 Posts
i spun everthing over and had like 30psi should have atleast 90-100psi with the new piston unseated so i took the shims out of the intake side so it would hold the valve open and i got 100psi.. but had a .40mm gap on both intakes.. so should i just reshim it? because the intake was in clearance before i took the head off.. i had the buckets off but didnt switch them..

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello First timer here. I have read most of the threads or forums and haven't really found the answer I am looking for. So I am helping a buddy out on his 03 z400, i have checked the valve clearance and adjusted them and both are in spec and the bike still wont start. when i press on the throttle it just back fires. Any help would be great.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have been dealing with all these same problems!! I've had my 04 z400 for a couple of months and it just shut down on me while riding. Starter spins and that is it except for a few back fires...
I've read the forums and have ordered a D.I.D. cam chain. I'm also going to order the ferreas valves, DRZe springs, and a manual chain tensioner.
I guess my question is can I use the old retainers for the springs and do I need to order a shim set??

·
Registered
10 Posts
So just so I'm clear, this weekend I will be tearing into my ltz400 (which starts perfectly, only issue is a loud tick in the top end, and that may just be me, not being familiar with this engine)
I don't want to look for trouble where there is none.

1. If I check the values and they are at 0.00 lash than I need a valve job? otherwise I can shim back into to spec.
2. If I measure my pins from top center of one cam sprocket to the other and have more than 15 pins than my chain is stretched? I have a new D.I.D. chain in hand.

Mine is an 06 so its 11 years old, I am sure it would be way out of wack if it had never been done and would not crank properly.

Thanks
MrC.

·
Premium Member
12,454 Posts
These engines tick.........but tick louder with a stretched chain. Almost gets to be more of a "rattle".
The number of pins wouldn't change mark to mark unless it jumped time.
If it starts fine, your lash should be fine.
Before you tear into the top end, remove the cam chain tensioner. Carefully and slowly pull the plunger out the rest of the way and count how many of the notches that it clicks over. If you have 3 or less the general consensus is that the chain is stretched.........then tear into it.

·
Premium Member
4,891 Posts
I did send a head to RE and a head to RHC both to do +1 as far as I'm concerned RHC did a better job

RHC also uses ferrea valves. the difference is Ron has them coated . way better than the off the shelf valve .

·
Registered
2 Posts
This question has been asked many, many times so I made a pre-typed response and now Im pinning it here in the FAQ forum.

Is your Z400 getting hard to start when the engine is cold?

Is it easy to start if you pull start it with another atv?

Does it seem to start ok once the engine gets warm?

Has it done most of, or all of that, but now wont start at all, and if it does, it barely runs?

If so...

I Have a 2005 suzuki ltz400. Im having a little trouble turning it on when the motor is cold, it takes several starts to turn on. After it does turn on, the next several times I turn it on it works perfectly and runs like a champ. Need help any suggestions

21 - 35 of 35 Posts