Suzuki Central Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did a little testing of the Z400 charging system. Anyhow, the machine is capable of running 85 watts of lighting (in addition to the tail light, Indicator lights....). The stock lights pull about 70 watts. If you run high RPM all the time, the quad will power 100 watts of light. If you use 100 watts of lights and run at idle, you will be drawing from the battery. This is not a big problem unless you run the lights all the time. You can draw from the battery some as long as you run some with the lights off for recharging.

The stock lights are halogen but the reflector quality is VERY POOR. We installed some good IR Halogen lamps/reflectors (85 watts) and doubled the light output as compared to stock.

If you like to night ride and want too see, you can make some huge improvements without re-winding the stator.

·
Registered
221 Posts
cool, thanks for the info

dave

·
Registered
794 Posts
Good info. Does that setup look any different? I take it ur from Trailtech...

Later

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, I work for TrailTech. We used our standard setup for the Z400. It is best to have the lights mounted to the bars so when you turn, the lights point where you are going.

·
Registered
35 Posts
When running in hot weather - fan runs quite a bit - This takes away from charging ability. Two 50watt lights with 15watt flag light killed my battery in 3hrs of high RPM running. Now running 50 and 35 watt bulbs in the lasers - plus changed out my tailight with an LED (less than 1 watt draw) - will also go down to a smaller flag light or LED in the dunes. Will be upgrading the stator as soon as avail. Stock lighting is about useless in the dunes - too yellow and dim - pattern is also very bad.

I also suspect that more folks will find that the fan draw is too much for the stock system with upgraded lights.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts