Suzuki Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
whats the best oil anyone would recommend for the z400? and is fully synthetic better to use on it?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no i was wondering what is the best brand to use besides the suzuki motor oil, and if its better to use fully synthetic.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
I use regular Honda 10w 40. The Synthetic oil is great for the motor but can make the clutch slip. I change the oil about every 20 hours. A little quicker if it is real hot or if I have been hard on the clutch and have more clutch fibers in the oil.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I use 50/50 mix, Mobil 1 (fully synthetic) and Suzuki oil

Of course, in the Oil weights recommended.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
I would not mix them up. I don't think they would blend together well.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Put em in a blender...

I would not mix them up. I don't think they would blend together well.[/b]
You are kidding, right?

slick 50, amsoil, Zmaxx...all of these can be added right to your oil in your car, lawnmower, jetski and ZZZZZ, and you know what else....

they are all synthetic....there is not a problem with mixing them. It will make your reg oil last a little longer between changes.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
I use honda 10 40. That is really good oil, might have something to do with the ex's rock solid reliability...???

·
Registered
715 Posts
Re: I use 50/50 mix, Mobil 1 (fully synthetic) and Suzuki oi

Of course, in the Oil weights recommended.[/b]
They blend together fine, but I don't think the syn. oils are real good for the clutch. I could be wrong though.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Full synthetic oils wil give you a problem with the clutch slipping. The honda oil is great but a cheaper oi that is just as good is the Castrol 4 Stroke oil. I currently run it in my Z. One more reason for not using the synthetic oil is that the oil may take more abusive conditions but it will still carry the harmfull deposits. I change my oil at approximately every 16 hours more often if I think that I have been especially hard on the machine, like really dusty conditions during the time that I am wringing out the throttle. :D

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
All the boards I've ever been on (and it's a lot!) go through this oil thread.

No, synth doesn't cause slipping. If your clutch is slipping, something else is wrong. I even heard of a guy say that Motul motorcycle oil caused his clutch to slip. He..

I've used Mobil 1 full synth in everything I own. Every car, truck, motorcycle, quad (2 or 4 stroke), lawnmower.. anything that uses oil. Zero problems.

Even Amsoil recommends their stuff. I personally dislike the company because I don't like MLM, but, they try like to prove their oil is better by showing it's more slippery, yet still good for wet clutches.

Oil is slippery by nature. Synthetic is different mainly in the fact that the molecules are man made, longer, stronger, and break down slower. Thus, fewer oil changes.

If you use crappy Penzoil and change the oil every 10 hours, you'll be fine as well.

But, synthetic causing slipping... nope... wives tale.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Most syn. oil like mob. 1 has antifriction additives. After time this WILL make a wet clutch slip. Your not supposed to use syn. oil in a new unbroken in motor in a car because it stops the mating parts from wearing together.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I'll agree with you on the breakin in part (although porsche and other cars come from the factory with M1) but it will not make your clutch slip in time. Just visit alt.motorcycle or some other big group and you'll find bikes with 100k miles and more running M1 from after breakin.

"Friction Modifiers" is a term to make car owners feel better about the oil they are buying (ie "it's slipperier so my car will last longer"), a term created by the oil industry itself. It also is used to sell Mc specific oil to those who will pay triple the price because there's a pic of a MC on the front of the bottle. It's all BS. Call Mobil one day and ask if you should use M1 or the stuff for bikes, they'll tell you to use the stuff for bikes. Call them again the next day and they'll say normal M1 is just fine.

It's funny how most that say synth make your clutch slip are from second or third (or fourth!) hand experience, but those who use it swear by it, like myself. :) I'll continue to use it. If M1 is bad, then Amsoil is worse because it's marketed as "slipperier".

If my clutch ever slips on any MC, ATV, or any other vehicle I will be the FIRST to admit it. But I know that's not going to happen.

If you're clutch is slipping, it's not the oil's fault.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Friction modifiers is a term made up huh? Have you ever worked on a posi rear. Read about the type of gear lube you are supposed to use.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
MikeZ,

Can you tell me a friction modifier is? I never said it was made up, I said the oil companies use the term to make people feel better.

Any now we're talkin gear oil? Whatever... Didn't know my Z had a diff...

Believe what you want... but some simple unbiased reading and the millions of satisified synth users should be proof enough. Not joe shmoe whose 1982 ATC110's clutch started slipping... (on original clutch of course).

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I just switch weights because of the extreme cold in MN. If it's above 40, you're fine with 20w50. If it's colder than 10, then maybe it wouldn't hurt. Once it's warm, it's no biggie. Not sure what comes stock in the Z, but that's what's still in mine. Probably 10-40 or something.

Rode today and it was just below zero. We rode for about 4 hours on the river... that's a blast. That dang predator that rides with us is so cold blooded, though... He also flipped it going around a corner... tires caught some beach and woooop! :)

And on the way back my bars came loose and I had to take it easy.. up and down over every bump... high rider.. low rider.. hah..

man, that pissed me off. Time for some loc-tite on them suckers.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts